The mission of the Delaware Baptist Association is to strengthen the disciple-making efforts of churches and pastors in our region. We seek to accomplish this mission through four simple and strategic emphases.
Delaware Baptist Association was established on October 10, 1967, by eight Southern Baptist Churches located in the State of Delaware who were also cooperating churches in the Baptist Convention of Maryland/Delaware. These original churches were:
- First Southern Baptist Church, Dover
- Bethany Baptist Church, Newport
- Harrington Baptist Church, Harrington
- Grace Baptist Church, Seaford
- Calvary Baptist Chapel, New Castle
- Ogletown Baptist Church, Newark
- Community Baptist Chapel, New Castle
- Milford Baptist Chapel, Milford
The Susquehanna and the Eastern Baptist Associations in Maryland were also instrumental in our founding.
Over the last 50 years, we have had six full-time Directors of Missions (formerly called Associational Missionaries or Superintendent of Missions). They were:
- John Tollison, 1969-1971
- Joe Paul Turner, 1973-1980
- Wesley M. Johnson, 1980-1989
- James McBride, 1990-2008
- Mal Utleye, 2009-2011
- Mitch Dowell 2012-2015
In 2016, we moved to a part-time leadership structure, dividing the responsibilities between two Associational Church Catalysts:
Today we serve a total of 27 churches throughout Delaware and two in Maryland's Eastern Shore. Two of our latest church plants are EverSpring Church (2011) and LifeHouse in Smyrna (2016).
Additionally, we value our partnership with Baptist Student Ministry on the campus of the University of Delaware, in Newark.