Featured DBA Churches
Each month the DBA is focusing on several of our member churches, providing a profile of their history. Of varying length, each history is presented here, with mainly light editing, as written and submitted by churches currently within the DBA. These histories are also included in the history of the DBA, From Age to Age.
Greensboro Baptist Church
Greensboro Baptist Church
Located at 401 West Sunset Avenue, Greensboro Baptist Church has served the Eastern Shore for nearly a century. This church began out of an evangelistic request. Two attempts had already failed as ministers tried to penetrate Greensboro for the Gospel. On the third attempt, Rev. Melvin G. Morris was hailed as “the man to start a work at Greensboro.” Rev. Morris was the state evangelist for the Maryland Baptist Convention at the time. He agreed to take on the town and her people. A tent tabernacle that held 1,000 people was erected in 1920. The first service was held on July 3, 1920, and 800 people attended. Two nights later, 1,200 were in attendance. Three weeks later, a baptismal service was held at Pippins Pond where an approximately 2,500 attended. The church was officially organized on November 1, 1920, with 8 persons present. Later 24 men and women would be listed as founding members. In March 1921, the church voted to build a permanent structure. The structure was completed in 1924. Funds for the building were raised by the women of the church going throughout the community “selling” bricks and bags of cement, and by obtaining a loan. That structure has been used for worship and teaching to this day, and will continue to be used for the Lord’s work. During the late 1980s and early 1990s, the sanctuary was enhanced and expanded to house more than 300 attendees. At a December 2016 business meeting, the church voted to begin renovations to the old sanctuary. New paint was applied to the walls and the carpets were removed revealing beautiful Georgia pine flooring. The rest of 2017 has seen new life being brought to the floors, walls, and doors. The current sanctuary was dedicated on February 25, 2001. This new sanctuary was the result of a body of believers who shared their Pastor’s visions for a larger facility to accommodate the people of this community who need to hear the gospel message of Jesus’s love and saving grace. The plan was approved in early 1994, and after much prayer, planning, and research, construction began in early 1997. The church family agreed to step out on faith for the project, and progress only as the funds were provided. The project was completed debt-free in four years. Since then, the grounds have expanded to include a gymnasium and office space for staff.
Church is more than a physical building. It is about a people unifying together in worship and witness of Jesus. Greensboro is the only Southern Baptist Church in Caroline County, Maryland. The membership is composed of dedicated families driving many miles from around Maryland and Delaware. Twenty-two men have served as Senior Pastor from Rev. Melvin Morris to Rev. J. Bradley Hendrix. Rev. Chan Hubbard has had the longest tenure of all the pastors serving for 16 years. Four men have served as Assistant Pastor, two men as Youth Pastor, six men as Interim Pastor, and one man as Transitional Pastor.
Greensboro is very supportive in missions and church plants. Three churches have sprung out of Greensboro, one in Marydel, another in Harrington, and the third, recently, with Rev. Joel Kurz. Along with his wife and children, the former Youth Pastor planted “The Garden Church” in Baltimore. Short-term missions teams have been sent to Nicaragua, Moldova, Romania, and more. The community’s airways have enjoyed an 11:00 a.m. broadcast of “The Baptist Hour” on 840AM WBCT since the 1980s. As of January 2017, the church service has been broadcasted on 100.5 FM. Greensboro Baptist also has a rich history of Christian education. Sunday Mornings feature both Sunday School and Bible Fellowship Groups. The church has sponsored a homeschool through Greensboro Christian Academy since 1997, as well as hosted a Co-op since Fall 2009.
Haitian Evangelical Church
Haitian Evangelical Church
Haitian Evangelical Church (formerly First Pilgrim Haitian Baptist Church) was started in April 1991. Its founding pastor is Rev. Guy Danjoint, whose father, Manold Danjoint, a deacon, had for years dreamed of starting this church.
Currently about 100 people gather together each Sunday to form the Haitian Evangelical Church of Delaware. The church meets on Sundays at 9 a.m. (Sunday School), at 10 a.m. (Worship Service), at 4 p.m. (Youth Meeting), and at 5 p.m. (Baptismal Class). They also assemble as a church on Wednesday evenings (5:30 p.m.) and Saturday mornings (7 a.m. to noon) for prayer and fasting.
When Guy was 12 years old, he began to sense that the Lord was calling him into ministry. Over the years Guy has also supported this calling by using his God-given skill as an interpreter. He currently fills this role at the Department of Justice for Delaware, Maryland, and Pennsylvania.
Although bi-vocational, Pastor Danjoint’s passion is “to preach the Word of God and help people with their spiritual life.” He has been in active pastoral ministry since 1990. Originally from Haiti, Guy and his wife, Luciol, have been married for 16 years and have five children.
As the Lord leads, the church is currently looking to buy a sanctuary for worship or a piece of land on which to build. Presently, they meet on Sundays at 177 Old Camden Road, Camden, Delaware.
Latter Day Missionary
Latter Day Missionary Baptist Church
Latter Day Missionary Baptist Church located at 520 W. 32nd Street, Wilmington, Delaware was organized in 1947 by the late Rev. Dr. Theodore R. Carter as a church plant of New Mt. Bethel Missionary Baptist Church. Steeped in Baptist tradition, Latter Day continues to be guided by the Baptist Articles of Faith especially believing that the Holy Bible, in its inerrancy, transliterated by men divinely inspired, and is the perfect treasure of heavenly instruction. Further it has the One and Only God as its author, salvation for its end, and truth without any mistake or human interpretation for is content. We further believe in the teachings of the Scriptures defining the visible church of our Lord and Saviour Jesus the Christ as a Congregation of Baptized Believers having as its only scriptural officers Pastors and Deacons whose qualifications, claims and duties are defined in the Epistles to Timothy and Titus. Latter Day’s affiliation with Southern Baptist Convention began under the warm and inspiring leadership of Rev. James McBride. Its current pastor is Rev. Dr. Wayne S. Miles.